5/4/11

Old-School Spaghetti!

Speaking of simple yet, delicious here's an old favorite in any household; Spaghetti! Good old-fashion and easy to spice up with a few tweaks. Now when I was a kid my mother would throw this together with some ground beef and sauce out of the jar and we would love it. But as I got older I started to experiment with adding my own little flourishes. Nothing too outrageous, but I can say that I have a fabulous recipe for my own sauce that takes about ten hours to prepare. This is not it. I had received a few extra cans of peeled tomatoes by accident when I ordered groceries from Safeway, so I had to put them to good use. They will undoubtedly turn up in some future dishes if you monitor this blog. I added them here to about half a jar of Barilla Spicy Marinara, apple cider vinegar, a dash of cayenne, and of course salt and pepper. I mashed up the toms after letting them heat up for a bit, then placed the lid on the let her simmer, while my angel hair pasta boiled.


For the meat, I started off by sauteing a red onion, normally I'd throw in a green pepper, but I didn't have one so I just added in the meat and seasoned it with some basil and oregano for that authentic Italian flavor. A little minced garlic too (I almost forgot). As an added measure I poured a few shots of whiskey on, because I believe in cooking with booze. I've probably mentioned this before but I come from the Justin Wilson school of cooking ("A little wine for the turkey-a little for me! I guarantee!). Once the meat is thoroughly cooked I layer each component and serve. To keep with the traditional, old-school vibe, I made some red Kool-Aide much the way my grandma used to make; thick as syrup so thick it stains the glass.
I gotta get my camera fixed~!




No comments: