12/5/10

Chicken and Gravy


Still reeling from Thanksgiving, it’s been over a week since I posted, sorry about that to anyone who actually tunes in to this blog. We haven’t developed any followers yet, but thanks to all the spammers out there who give me something to delete when I check the message box. Since my good camera is broken I can’t take any decent pictures of what I’m currently cooking. I’ve decided I will try to sit down and type out some stuff for all the pictures I took before I started this blog. I know I’ve promised to deliver before, but this time I mean it! It’s raining here in San Fran, and I’ve gotten to 100% on Grand Theft Auto: TLAD& BoGT! If you know what I’m talking about give yourself a prize for being as big of nerd as me!
I’m gonna try to break these up into individual blogs and recall how I made what as best as I can, but if I drift off topic from time to time bare with me. And if you have a blogger account or even a Google, please follow Monkee Chow, heck you can even RSS to appear on your home page thingie, you know the one nobody ever uses because we all just briefly check our mail before heading straight t Facebook for a false since of community. Alrighty then, with that let’s talk about fried chicken and gravy!

This one is really simple (that’s why I’m starting with it). For the fried chicken I used a mix that was more akin to country fried steak. Of course flour, with a lot of pepper and salt, some cayenne, and touch of cornmeal. The gravy is the real star of this dish. Just start with some grease. By grease I don’t mean some synthetic jar of lard, or vegetable oil. To make really good gravy you will have to start by saving the grease every time you use your frying pan. I like to keep mine in a coffee can by the stove. After some time you will develop this gelled culture along with some still chunky liquid. For real gravy like grand-ma used to make you gotta take the gross gelled parts and slap’em in back in the pan. Just a bit now you want more gravy later right? Then you wanna add milk and a tiny bit of flour. If you have heavy cream handy use that instead of milk, but milk works fine. Add your own touch of spices, whatever you want the gravy to taste like. I chose bear and black pepper with a little salt and hot sauce. The French cut green beans fresh out of the can, and baked potato with tons of butter to fill out the plate. You should also have a big wooden spoon-even if you don’t have kids-and use that to stir your mixture. Keep the burner on medium to low setting or you’ll have burnt tasting gravy. Add some water or more milk depending on how thick you like your gravy and move on to eating this delicious masterpiece! 

No comments: